Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ways to Give a Gift this Holiday without Spending a Dime

 This year I was thinking of the few “gifts” that I would like that would not cost anyone money.  I would love to have help with some things and I thought I would share my ideas with you. I know that everyone’s budgets have been tight the last few years so now is the time to get creative and find ways to show your loved ones how much you love them without breaking the bank.

1.       Give the gift of helping a friend organize or clean their house. I have some drawers in my bedroom and bathroom that have not seen the light of day in a while. I feel the most motivated to clean and organize when I have a partner.  If I had a friend come over to help me get to the little things in my house that I never find time for, I would be ecstatic.  I have quite a few friends who have many kids, busy work schedules, or just struggle with organization in general. I know that many people feel the same way I do. So, offer your time to a friend this year and that would be an incredible Christmas gift.


Learn the best Organization tips at Marthastewart.com 
2.      Babysit:  I have many friends who rarely get a chance to go have a date or get a chance to read a book alone, go grocery shopping, or have coffee with a friend. Offer to babysit for free so your friends can have a little time to themselves.


3.      Make a meal. I have one friend who works more than full time, is getting her Master’s & Credentials, and is a newlywed. She has a lot on her plate.  Bringing a meal by for her and her husband would be greatly appreciated. Think of someone you know would appreciate this and double up the portions for your own dinner that night and give the extra away.
4.      Volunteer!  I have a handful of friends whose children have illnesses. It is a huge support and encouragement to them when people are willing to volunteer at the non-profit of their choice (examples: kids with cancer foundations, breast cancer foundations, diabetes awareness, etc).  You can run in a 5k with them, volunteer for the non-profits next event, or help get donations for the family.  This is a great way to show someone with a disease or illness how much you care. 


5.      Help with simple things that may overwhelm your friends or family. Example: Walk their dogs, go grocery shopping for them, wash their car, if you are handy with tools, fix their broken fence or squeaky door. Try to think of what would really help this person and meet their need instead of just buying them a present.

These are just a few ideas. I am sure you can think of your own.  I hope this got your wheels turning on what thoughtful things you can do for your friends and family this year.

Merry Christmas!  -Kendall

No comments:

Post a Comment